Thursday, February 11, 2010

Rice: Part I

How hard can it be to make rice? We usually do ok in the kitchen, so rice is not something that has ever concerned us. Alas, we have been quickly humbled. The tias told us that the high elevation of Quito affects the cooking process -- but I think they were just trying to make us feel better.

So far the score is: Rice 2 - Us 0.

Here's the tally of our attempts thus far:

First batch: Crunchy. Prior to making my first batch of Ecuadorian rice, I had only ever made Minute Rice, which is pretty straight-forward: one cup of rice, one cup of water, cook five minutes, eat. Apparently that methodology doesn't work with "real" rice.

Second batch: Mush. Taking a cue from tia Maria, we learned we needed to add more water, and cook the rice longer. So I used a full pot of water, one cup of rice, and cooked it for about 30 minutes. Result: a pot of a mush, which we quickly ditched in the sink.



We will not be defeated by rice. Tomorrow is another day.

2 comments:

  1. At home I cook regular rice. Long grain white. Just add twice as much water to rice. So say one cup rice and two cups water. At home in Fl we cook rice 15-20 min.So, First bring Water and 1 tsp salt to a boil.Then add the rice and turn down to about 1/4 to 1/3 the heat- thats called a simmer. (Keep the lid on after you put the rice in.) Then after 15-20 min take off the heat. That should bring you in pretty close. Let me know how it works. ;)Do not be defeated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha! This makes me remember being in Quito last summer. I could not for the life of me make good rice! I mean, how hard is it?? Turns out - quite complex. I saw some ladies fry it first then add water and onion. I never quite got it. I guess the altitude makes a big dfference too - took me a while to realize that. Good luck! -Kat

    ReplyDelete